- by Jason Bourne
- 5 months ago
Whenever we face the hardships of extreme weather conditions, we tend to look for ways to escape it. In the peak summer, when the Sun and the extremely hot weather do not give us any respite, we tend to go for air coolers and air conditioners to keep ourselves safe. The air conditioners are the best among all the air-cooling systems. When we think of air conditioners as an option to beat the hot weather, we have to choose the best air conditioner. There is a star rating for every ac. Hence, we have to know the difference between 3 Star and 5 Star ac. Which type of ac is best for home and all that? What is a Star rating? All these have to be clearly understood before we buy a good ac for home.
As this saying goes “Where there is a way there is a will,” reflects our situation in this harsh summer. The “will” to buy a good ac is of prime importance in this time of summer. We all know that air conditioners consume lots of power. Hence, it is also quite important to know the difference between 3 Star and 5 Star ac. What is a star rating? Star rating is the Energy Efficiency Ratio that is EER. It is a rating to show a saving of power. The more the star rating, the more efficiency it shows for power saving. We have to understand the basics and the intricacies of the star rating system.
Difference between 3 Star and 5 Star Air Conditioners
- What is a star rating in air conditioners?
- The comparison of the difference between 3 star and 5 star ac
- Knowing Your Air Conditioner’s Star Rating
- Shopping Online for Air Conditioners
- Difference between 3 star and 5 star ac:
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is a star rating in air conditioners?
Nowadays, every appliance in India is given a star rating. What is Star rating? To precisely define it, the star rating is the energy efficiency of the appliance. The energy efficiency rating is done in ascending order. The more the stars the more energy efficient the appliance is. The star rating is usually between 1 to 5 numbers of stars. Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) gives the Star rating to all medium to large appliances. Especially, it is important for rating the air conditioners, according to its energy efficiency. With this explanation, we can have a better understanding of the difference between 3 star and 5 star ac.
Star rating is a system for determining the power efficiency of an air conditioner. We have to consider a lot of factors in determining the number of stars. The star rating of any appliance run on electricity used for heating or cooling is determined by the Energy Efficiency Ratio; in this case, it is the ratio of the cooling capacity of an air conditioner in BTU (British Thermal Units) per every hour, in watts.
The star ratings are standard for rating the appliances. These are done by Bureau of Energy Efficiency. These ratings are revised very often for enhanced ratings. Due to this factor, the difference between 3 star and 5 star ac is to be determined.
Due to the ratings, generally based on the number of stars that increase for an appliance, the power savings too increase. Each rating saves up to 14% energy, as the rating stars increase, you will save about 14% power on each star rating, the higher the better. Hence, there is bound to be a difference between 3 star and 5 star ac. Here, the difference between 3 star and 5 star ac is 2 star ratings, that is 5 star ac saves up to 28% more energy than 3 star ac.
As we use the air conditioners regularly in the summer, our power bills tend to be on the higher side. In this situation, the main difference between 3 star and 5 star ac is the difference in power consumed. Hence, the 3 star ac consumes more power than the 5 star ac.
The comparison of the difference between 3 star and 5 star ac
The main difference between 3 star and 5 star ac is their power consumption levels. As discussed earlier, a 5 star ac consumes less power than 3 star ac, this is called energy efficiency. A 5 star ac performs better in energy efficiency.
A 3 star air conditioner has its own benefits and drawbacks. The 5 star air conditioner gives the option of convenience, cooling and enough savings on power bills when compared with a 3 star air conditioner.
There is a difference of effective cooling between both the air conditioners in the same tonnage. The difference of electricity bills should also be counted as the major difference. The 5 star air conditioner is technologically advanced, hence, its performance.
The top rating or highest rating of any appliance is 5 and the rating for the lowest is 1. Hence, any 5 star air conditioner cools the room quickly and efficiently. The rating indicates the efficiency of 5 star air conditioner in cooling the room faster and using less power than a 3 star air conditioner. This indicates the difference between 3 star and 5 star ac.
Energy Efficiency Ratio difference between 3 star and 5 star ac
The star rating, which is determined and quantified as the Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER)? A 3 star air conditioner has an EER range between 2.9 to 3.09 while a 5 star ac has an EER starting from 3.3 and above 3.3
Knowing Your Air Conditioner’s Star Rating
When you own an air conditioner, it is not only a one-time investment but has the recurring cost of running the air conditioner like the electricity bill, maintenance. The main recurring cost is the electricity bill that can bloat with the use of the air conditioners. The air conditioners are known to use more energy than any other appliance. Hence, knowing the star rating of the air conditioner is helpful in determining the energy efficiency. The difference between 3 star and 5 star ac is very distinct. The 5 star ac functions very efficiently using less power. Less power is less electricity bill. That is why knowing the ac’s rating is vital in determining its performance.
Shopping Online for Air Conditioners
It is now easy to know the difference between 3 star and 5 star ac when you are buying online. As all the air conditioners are listed indicating the star rating of each air conditioner and its capacity, you can easily compare the star rating of air conditioners with the same capacity.
When shopping online, the product details of air conditioners are listed extensively. One can compare the prices, star rating and EMI’s to buy the air conditioner. It is obvious that 5 star rated air conditioners cost more, but they save on power bills while 3 star air conditioners cost very less than the 5 star air conditioner but consume more power. The cost of running the 3 star air conditioner is higher than a 5 star air conditioner due to the high power bills. It is up to decide whether you want a cheap air conditioner with higher power bills or a little bit costlier air conditioner that saves on the power bills month after month.
Salient points for investing in an air conditioner:
- Before you begin your search for the right air conditioner, you have to know what your needs for an air conditioner are, then assess what capacity of air conditioner you need for your home.
- Decide if the need for an air conditioner is for regular use or utility purpose with less usage.
- Factor in on how long you are going to use the air conditioner. Whether it is for only the summer or other seasons too.
- If the air conditioner is for regular and prolonged use, then go for the 5 star rating air conditioner
- If the air conditioner is for seasonal use, that is for only the summer with the usage up to certain hours. Then go for the 3 star air conditioner that costs less. Limit your power bill by using it for limited hours in peak time and in the nights when it is very hot.
- Here, in this salient point, we will describe in detail the difference between 3 star and 5 star ac. Consider the cost of running the air conditioner and its maintenance. If the air conditioner is for long usage, then the cost of maintenance is considerable and the power usage bill too is included. Buy an air conditioner that needs less maintenance even after good usage on a regular basis. The 5 star rated air conditioner is best suited here for this purpose. If your usage is very less and is limited to the summer period, then going for three star rated air conditioner is sensible. Where the cost of running the air conditioner is to be borne only for 3 months of summer. The rest of the months, you need not worry about the maintenance. Hence, it is feasible to buy a low cost; three star air conditioner in these circumstances.
This explains the actual difference between 3 star and 5 star ac. Both the types of star rated air conditioners have their own advantages and disadvantages. We have discussed thoroughly how the difference between 3 star and 5 star ac is beneficial for different homes with different needs and requirement.
- A 3 star air conditioner is useful and beneficial to some whereas a 5 star air conditioner is useful to people who want to use the air conditioner for all seasons depending on its utility factor. A 3 star rated air conditioner costs very less and needs less periodic maintenance as it is used for only about three months.
- A 5 star rating air conditioner costs more but has less cost of running overheads. It needs periodic maintenance. These air conditioners are more costlier than the air conditioners that have a less star rating. The cost of maintenance is negligible for the usage and utility you are enjoying for this type of air conditioner.