How to Buy Your Next Camper Trailer Prudently?
- by Jilli Smith
- 6 days ago
It won’t be prudent if you hurriedly go into the market and buy the trailer that you can find. Will you buy a car in that manner? You won’t! Well, buying a camping trailer is no different. That’s why it’s crucial to have a detailed checklist ready consisting of what you want and what’s not important before venturing out into the market. Without knowing what you really want to have in your camping trailer, you may get lost in a market that has way too many options to offer. To help you in your quest for buying a camping trailer, here are some essentials that have been gathered, so you can know what all needs to be taken care of before buying used camping trailer.
What type of car (tow vehicle) you have?
Prior to considering a camper trailer, you need to find out what is the actual towing capacity of your tow vehicle. That’s because, you want to limit your trailer well under its maximum towing capacity, as you’ll need to accommodate passengers, luggage including food and water to your tow vehicle, which finally adds up to the total towing weight that your tow vehicle can tow. That’s the reason if you settle with a trailer that is above your maximum safe towing load capacity - you may be up for a very dangerous ride once you find yourself at the end of highway road and the beginning of the uneven road or rough dirt roads. That’s why you need to take up your car’s (tow vehicle) manual first and find out the actual towing capacity before visiting the marketplace or looking for new or used campers.
Weather & Path/Track
You need to ask some crucial questions to yourself such as:
- Whether you’ll be journeying during winter or summer?
- Will you remain on-road or would you like to discover the outback (remotest countryside)?
The answer to these critical questions will help you to decide the camping trailer type that best fits your needs.
Camping trailer with a hard floor
- A camping trailer with the hard floor will keep you away from the ground; thus, it is firmer and will keep you warm during the middle of winter. Nevertheless, they are heavier, so difficult to tow and they would require more fuel on longer trips.
- Hard floor camper is effortless to erect (may require just 10 to 15 minutes to set up) and also easy to pack away; however, it is not as liberal as the soft floor camper when it comes to space.
Camping trailer with a soft floor
- Camping trailer with the soft floor is complex to erect; however, it facilitates adequate space to move around and can be custom-built to suit the parking space.
- A soft floor camper can be easily enlarged and it is an economical option than a hard floor.
Well, it’s critical to know upfront – how many persons you’ll be taking along and how much space will be good enough. This bit of information will greatly help you to determine whether you would require a hard floor or soft floor camping trailer.
Ensure collecting the basic information such as:
- Checking your car’s (i.e. tow vehicle) towing capacity,
- Know how many persons you’ll be taking along for the expedition/trip,
- And get the answers for all the above-discussed questions right.
These will surely help you to know your requirements better and finally determine how much you’re willing to invest to purchase the camping trailer for sale.
You may also like to read: Don’t Get Taken for a Ride When Buying your Next Camper Trailer